Custom Machining of a 6" Centrifugal Clutch for the Chemical Industry
(click on thumbnail to enlarge)
BLM Automatic Clutch was contracted to manufacture a custom centrifugal clutch for an OEM customer in the chemical industry. The client required an inline drive meeting specific alignment criteria in an industrial mixer application. The mixer was rated at a service factor of 3 due to its propensity to jam under load conditions. Taking all parameters into consideration, a stock coupling style design drawing was altered to meet the particular specifications outlined. Gray iron was precision machined using state-of-the-art CNC lathes, milling machinery, and other in house tools, which provided the precision necessary to achieve the required ± 0.003" tolerances. The unit was assembled and covered with a blue paint finish. The machined 6" clutch featured quick detachable bushings and is appropriate for use in applications up to 30HP and 1800 RPM.
All parts were dimensionally inspected to maintain quality and integrity. 10 units were constructed for this project after a 3 to 4 week turnaround time and shipped to the customer in Canada. For more about this custom clutch machining project or the other custom designed and stock clutch options available for heavy industrial applications, please see the table below or contact BLM directly.
Highlights of this Custom Clutch Chemical Project
- Project Scope
- The OEM required an inline direct drive with good alignment. The mixer was sized for a service factor of 3 because of the potential of jam-up due to the heavy duty nature of the load.
- Product Application
- Industrial Mixer 30 HP/1800 RPM
- Product Description
- 6" clutch B66SKM with QD bushing
- Centrifugal Clutch Fabrication Capabilities Applied/Processes
- Modification of appropriate drawing from portfolio of 4000+ drawings
- Equipment Used to Manufacture Part
- CNC Lathes, CNC Mills, Various Machine Shop Equipment
- Tightest Tolerances
- ± 0.003"
- Material Used
- Gray Iron
- Material Finish
- In process testing/inspection performed
- Dimensional Inspection
- Industry for Use
- 10 Units
- Delivery/Turnaround Time
- 3 – 4 Weeks
- Delivery Location
- Standards Met
- Customer Specifications, 2D Drawing
- Product Name
- Centrifugal Clutch
Back To Top